Indian Cyclists Network

When you go for one day long ride, which is close to or more than 100 km (round trip), on mostly flat tarmac roads, what do you come prepared with and what a new comer can expect. There can be lots of parameters involved based on the type of ride, but still please give your valuable inputs.

(Kindly copy and paste the below section it in your feedback to keep the feedback structure standard)

Type of bike used (M - MTB / R - RoadBike):
Average riding speed (km/h):
Min / Max at a stretch pedaling (kms):
Min / Max rest time in between:
Type of clothing for upper body:
Type of clothing for lower body:
Protective gears (helmets, etc.):
Type of quick snacks during ride, such as nuts, etc?:
Type of refreshment drinks, such as water, lemonade:
Tools to carry:

Kindly add additional parameter, as needed.

Thanks.

Views: 5367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Frankly I dont think there is much difference as such other than the efficiency and reliability of components. I trained on hero Hawk Nu Age (10 gear combos) for first six months of my training then when I was sure of my abilities for long rides, I bought Giant Defy 2. But I know people who have done long rides on Hawk and other Indian cycles too. So primarily its about you, not the cycle. But a good cycle makes you feel lot better. Whatever you are riding just make sure the cycle fitting is proper. I did not know much about it in my firs six months with wrong saddle height and it took me some time to get used to to my new cycle and of course back aches were common.

Hi I am new to this site. Here I go based on my experience. I feel 100 km can be done very conveniently by even a new rider (with just few days of riding) with a decent bike

Type of bike used (M - MTB / R - RoadBike): MTR / Road
Average riding speed (km/h): 20 -22 KM/H
Min / Max at a stretch pedaling (kms): 25
Min / Max rest time in between: 5 mins for every 25 km basically for water
Type of clothing for upper body: Skins and above that cycling t shirt
Type of clothing for lower body: Cycling shorts with padding
Protective gears (helmets, etc.): Helmet
Type of quick snacks during ride, such as nuts, etc?: Dates, biscuits & nutrition bar
Type of refreshment drinks, such as water, lemonade: Water with ORS / Gaitorade
Tools to carry: Spare tube, air pump, tool kit, basic first aid kit, sunglasses

Guys,

I am of the opinion that "being mentally prepared" is much more important. Ask yourself & if you are really ready & if positive, go out, otherwise, even a 5 km ride will also be tiring & boring.

Two months back I covered almost 90 kms without any preparation, on my Cannondale. A night before going to bed, I decided to myself to go on a longer ride & the moment I got up next morning, I was (mentally) ready to cover long distance. On way, whatver my body said, it was my mind which had the ultimate control over everything. I covered last 20 kms wherein my body was saying a constant no to move further & I would carry on with sheer determination.

yes, being mentally prepared should be the first step! One should think of cycling as a fun way to fitness!

Type of bike used (M - MTB / R - RoadBike): M
Average riding speed (km/h): 15
Min / Max at a stretch pedaling (kms): 1/8
Min / Max rest time in between:2/15
Type of clothing for upper body: T-shirt/Climacool shirt
Type of clothing for lower body: Shorts
Protective gears (helmets, etc.): Helmets, gloves
Type of quick snacks during ride, such as nuts, etc?: Nuts, energy bars, glucose powder
Type of refreshment drinks, such as water, lemonade: Water, Coconut water, Tang, Red Bull (occasionally)
Tools to carry:  Travel pump, Allen key set w/screwdrivers, puncture repair kit

Note that I live in the Western Ghats, hence cycling on uneven (up and down) terrain is much harder than the plains, therefore the ridiculous stoppage, avg. speed and min/max pedalling

live in the western ghats

Type of bike used (M - MTB / R - RoadBike): frankly -any bike will do. a few gears are nice to have sometimes ( i cycled the alps once on a very badly worn down 18 gear bike which had 9 non functional gears )
Average riding speed (km/h): 25-30
Min / Max at a stretch pedaling (kms): 25-45kms
Min / Max rest time in between:30-45mins
Type of clothing for upper body: depends on the weather. 
Type of clothing for lower body:depends on the weather
Protective gears (helmets, etc.): helmet
Type of quick snacks during ride, such as nuts, etc?: cereal bars,candy, chocolate ( lots of it :)
Type of refreshment drinks, such as water, lemonade:water
Tools to carry:a basic tool kit 

When I joined this network, this discussion was popping up. I thought one day I will be able to contribute something from my side. Well the day has come & here it is -

Type of bike used (M - MTB / R - RoadBike): R
Average riding speed (km/h): - 25+ Kmph
Min / Max at a stretch pedaling (kms): - 40 Kmph in during early morning. Later depends on conditions like weather, tarmac etc.
Min / Max rest time in between: - Variable.
Type of clothing for upper body: - Sweat Free Jersey (half)
Type of clothing for lower body: - Bib Short
Protective gears (helmets, etc.): - Helmet, gloves, Dust free night goggles, Identity card!
Type of quick snacks during ride, such as nuts, etc?: - I wait & eat whatever is available in the roadside shops Wada pav, Misal Pav, Chai
Type of refreshment drinks, such as water, lemonade: - Water filled in sipper. Carry Electral.
Tools to carry: - Spare tube

It is very important to have some company while doing such long rides. This always helps when some accidents etc take place. Plus riding doesn't become boring

Regards,

Nachiket

Type of bike used (M - MTB / R - RoadBike):M
Average riding speed (km/h):15km/h
Min / Max at a stretch pedaling (kms):
Min / Max rest time in between:15 min
Type of clothing for upper body:dry fit t-shirt
Type of clothing for lower body:dry fit lower
Protective gears (helmets, etc.):helmet,gloves,sport shoes etc
Type of quick snacks during ride, such as nuts, etc?:fruits like apples and grapes
Type of refreshment drinks, such as water, lemonade:water,lemonade and energy drink
Tools to carry:Duct tape,Adjustable wrench,Spoke wrench

I visited 140+ km in  a single day from rawatbhat to kota with trek 3700. that was nice trip. 

but rawatbhata is only 45-50 KMs from Kota ??

Type of bike used (M - MTB / R - RoadBike): R
Average riding speed (km/h): 26/27 kmph
Min / Max at a stretch pedaling (kms): 55
Min / Max rest time in between: 5/10 minutes
Type of clothing for upper body: Cycling jersey with sun protection sleeves
Type of clothing for lower body: cycling shorts
Protective gears (helmets, etc.): helmet
Type of quick snacks during ride, such as nuts, etc?: figs, nuts, biscuits
Type of refreshment drinks, such as water, lemonade: Gatorade, Glucon D with salt added
Tools to carry:Type of bike used (M - MTB / R - RoadBike): Allen Key, tire levers, and spare tubes

Thanks,

Shailja

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Amit Bhowmik.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service